Monday, March 12, 2012

Birthday Weekend Thrifting

Plastic Homco Dove wall hanging

Today is my birthday. I'm 40 today. I haven't really wanted to do much to celebrate, but my friend Susan, a few weeks ago said I needed to do something. She decided it would be best to go do something I enjoyed and was good at. So this weekend we hopped into the truck, and headed out to Buffalo to do our thrift store circuit. It was actually pretty fun, as we hadn't done it in a while. I did a moderate amount of damage, some for me, but primarily more for the store. Here's a few images of the things I've came home with.

 Birds Eye Overview of all the finds. I'll be posting more about the hidden paint by number painting hidden under the stack at the bottom left of the image.

Included in this image is a stack of vintage linens. My camera fritzed out when I tried to take a detailed photo. I found an awesome twin set of yellow, stripe sheets that the cashier rang up for $4,030.00. It made me laugh. This was at the first stop. She told us the most amazing story about a scary mu mu she used to have during her pregnancy that was yellow striped, and accidentally punched the amount in wrong amount. I explained I didn't think I should take a loan from my 401K for a set of sheets. I found it very funny, and we all had a good laugh, because obviously she was still very traumatized by the mu mu. I have plans to make a dress out of that stripe set, and the yellow floral sheet I found at the same stop. I also found a great dress that I will be putting up for raffle in a few weeks. Can't wait to show it off to you all so check back often. 

Religious Iconography, Fitz and Floyd Butterfly Dessert Plates, and Mod carved wooden squirrel 

I know I've said it before. I love collecting religious icons. I've limited myself to what I have shelf space for. Here are a few of my new ones. The statue was free, but my favorite is the little angel with the harp. She was made in Mexico and was only .69. She's going next to the front door.

Summer Spray Painting Projects that need to be done before listing 


I found another six wine glasses that were smaller at St. Leo's. Next to the ones I found a few weeks ago, they look amazing on the hutch. I'm getting more motivated now to refurbish it(pictures coming soon). Now, just to have some dinner parties. These would be great for sorbet/dessert.

I also found another Betty Rubble glass! I've been trying to build a set and have been buying a few on Etsy, so this was an awesome find at only $3.99. They sell for WAY more!!


The transfer embroidery pattern, stuffed animal pattern, virgin plaque, jello jiggler alphabet mold and book I'm keeping for myself. I plan to make gingerbread alphabet cookies with the jello mold. I think no matter what the age, you should be able to play with your food. The card trays will be going to the store.


The little chalk ware snail is all mine. At only .49 he's a bank. He goes so nicely with the others in my collection. Good thing too, because I realize I've filled the others with change, so it was time to start a new one. LOL! The little green dish is Mikasa, and that is now under the spider plant in my living room. The cardinal sun catcher is going to my "little sister" in California, the owl sun catcher will be going to the store.


I loved this little Brass Horse for the store. Spray paint perhaps? What color do you think he should become??


These really fun book ends have an enamelware detail. I'm wondering if I should leave them as they are or give them a new fresh look. Any suggestions?

 Close up of the Playing Card trays, imported from Japan.



Here's a better picture of the sun catchers and other "smalls". The little modern, hand carved wooden squirrel was a great find at $1.99. It's a present for my Aunt, who has a close connection to squirrels. ;)

 More detailed image of the religious icons

Isn't she lovely?

What did you find this weekend?

Linking to Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! Looks like you found some great stuff!! The brass horse is my favorite.

    Enjoy your day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the brass horse - I'd vote not to paint him but to shine him up with some Brasso - and the enamelware bookends. Gorgeous. Those owl coasters on the black tray look cool, too. Couroc, maybe? Great finds...have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday- sounds like something I'd like to do for my next birthday- thrift all day uninterrupted. I say no paint on the brass horse too. My fav is the bookends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cross section of finds. Lots of different shopping interests included. I am waiting for painting season too. Windy here today and not warm enough either. Happy 40th Birthday greetings too.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Lisa! Welcome to the 40 club, I can guarantee you will love it xx
    Thank you for sharing all your thrifting treasures on Make Grow Thrift this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those bookends are stunning! Also loving the horse. Fun finds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to celebrate your 40th. All your treasures will be a wonderful reminder of a fin day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great haul! Happy birthday! I think you found a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete