Monday, March 5, 2012

Oops I did it again! Confessions of a Weekend Thrift Addict


O.K. I know it! I have  a wee little bit of a problem when it comes to fabrics. I just have to have them, especially if they are funky and vintage. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am a self proclaimed FABRIC WHORE.

This weekend was no exception when it came to bringing home more, but I ask you, how is an addict supposed to walk away? Is there a Fabric Anonymous group somewhere? If anyone knows I'd be more than happy to check it out. :)


This past Friday evening after grocery shopping I gently coerced my poor mother into making a stop at the Savers in Webster that was right around the corner. She looked at me, but reluctantly agreed. Maybe because I'd been saying I should lay off the thrifting hamster wheel for a while, at least until I could catch up with my Etsy store anyway since I have a years worth of merchandise to list at this point.


Nope that didn't stop me. Just check out these fun fabrics I came home with!! Some will be quilt backings, some will become handbags and some will eventually be fat quartered for resale. They were just too fun to pass up. There were more there, but a girls got to draw the purse strings tight somewhere right?



If I haven't mentioned Savers before, I should take a moment to say here, that I truly do believe it's like the Thrift Mother Ship has called me home every time I go there. I love the fact that they support the Boys and Girls club and that they don't throw clothing into landfill, but give it to missions in other parts of the world. To me there's nothing better than the feeling of thrift helping charity. It's win win. They also don't stop at fabric, and I've found amazing things every time I stop in.


During the same trip I found three more of these plastic birds. I plan to spray paint them over the summer and hang some throughout the apartment. Perhaps the bathroom. Not sure yet. There seems to be a floral theme going on in there. I now have nine of these birds. Don't worry. I'm not keeping them all. Six will be heading to the store (eventually).

 

I also found another I Hate To Cook Book, by Peg Bracken. This will be heading to the store along with these unopened vintage invitations. I'm digging the little clowns for sure. Do you think they are too juvenile to send out if you are turning 40 in a week? Hmmm...maybe just a little.


Yep, that's right. I even found more Virgins. The apartment is loaded with Angels, Buddhas and Virgins. I like the funky ones. Mom is joking that we are starting to have Deity Corners all over the apartment. I say the more blessings the better. I'm covering all of my bases, especially in the event of the apocalypse in a few months!! ;)


This is my favorite find of the weekend. It's a wall mounted bell (yes it works and it's very loud). This is for my friend Karen, who is decorating a room in a nautical theme. I couldn't pass it up at just $6.00. It's amazing, and it was right at the register like it was meant to be bought for her.


And lastly. A little light reading! Ugh, I can't believe I bought novels when I need to be focusing on textbooks in a week. I set myself up for distraction, but come on, they were buy four get one free!!

After I took the picture I noticed a little theme going on with the titles, but I assure you they are novels and not "how to's". Just random works of "fluff" fiction. I will admit it, I am a Judge A Book By It's Cover type of girl, but more in the judge a book by how new the book is. The majority are all brand new, and look as if they've never been opened. Now I just have to find five classics I haven't read yet, to justify the fluff. Don't ask, it's something I've been doing since I was 13.

Linking to Apron Thrift Girl for her Thrift Share Monday Posts

5 comments:

  1. i too have an addictive personality when it comes to vintage fabric. usually for me it's "but what if it gets thrown away?! I simply can not bear that."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not going to believe this but I just bought some plastic birds like that at my Saver's a week or two ago to spray paint this summer!! :) oh my gosh! haha. Loved your finds. Love the thrift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also just bought those same birds! Thing is, I only have two of them and now feel ripped off. I painted them and they're flying on my bathroom wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too cant leave fabric behind... You've scored some delightful finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat decorating idea with the plastic birds! I have a bunch of towels that have various birds on it. Those would be perfect for apartment!

    ReplyDelete