Thursday, March 24, 2011

Owls, Madonna's & Butterflies, OH MY


In my past thrift jaunts I have come across a number of wonderful collectibles. It can become addicting very quickly. It's like that caveman "hunter gatherer" mentality when I walk in. My brain starts to say "I know it's here! I know it's here!" meaning that there is at least one really cool thing buried in all the piles. My eyes start scanning shelves at 60 paces, and I make slow movements towards the items I see, especially if someone is in the general vicinity. I don't want to give away my excitement until I have securely placed the item in my own basket. 
This is exactly what happened with this little owl vase I found. I scanned the shelf full of crammed nick knacks and reached in to grab him. He's beautiful isn't he? He's in pristine condition too. Owls have begun to have a way of coming into my life. I'm finding them everywhere. I was never really attracted to them before but now they just seem to speak to me. I'm trying not, if I can help it to begin another collection of something. I have enough at this point, so I have listed him on my store. I would love to see him go to a great new home! 

 Owl Vase


Here's a few more fun little owl finds. Above is an owl pendant with three movable layers of feathers. The eyes are an amber color. I realized later that the estate sale I found him at had removed the chain in order to sell it separately for the money. If I'd have known in time I would have gone back because the makers mark on the back indicated that it was worth at least $45.00 resale. Unfortunately some of the gold has flaked off the back of the eyes and someone tried to use a black marker to darken it in, greatly reducing the cost, but you would never be able to tell from the front side. I hope to get it listed in the store soon.


Last but not least on the owl front is this really awesome late 1970's embroidery kit. It features an owl and wildflowers. I would take the time to make it if I didn't already have a million other projects on hold at the moment, so it's better that it also go to a new home where it will be completed and admired.


Madonna's are one of my personal favorite collectibles, right behind angels. When I saw this one, which someone made in a ceramics class, I knew I had to have her. She is slated for a coat of white spray paint, or maybe a fresher powder blue, haven't decided, and besides it's still to cold to spray paint anyway. She will then be featured on my shelf with the others. I just feel safer somehow having a bevy of Madonna's in my corner.  



My second Madonna find was this vintage Japanese Holy Water vessel. She's designed to hang on the wall by a door. She's beautiful and already residing on the shelf. I just couldn't resist her.



O.K. last but not least, I found this really great, 1950's?, square glass butterfly dish. I don't know much about it, except it's beautiful. The butterflies are all in gold. One corner has a slight chip in it, but I don't think that takes away from the overall beauty of the dish. Does anyone know anything about this style of dish? I'd really love more information about it.


2 comments:

  1. Nice owl finds and collections you have coming! Thrifting becomes so addictive once you get in that gatherer mentality and hunt for specific items. Looks like I'm a slave to lady thrift for life.

    Love your blog- you find so many amazing goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All so lovely and fun to look at.

    ReplyDelete